“In this episode of Yoga & Beyond I talk to my first hard core Anatomy teacher, Jason Brown. He is the founder of the Anatomy Studies for Yoga Teachers program and the co-owner of the Zenyasa Yoga & Wellness Studio in NYC with his wife Frances Taylor Brown. Before creating ASFYT he taught at many prominent yoga studios and fitness centers in New York, including the Integral Yoga Institute, OM Yoga Studio, Yoga Works, Pure Yoga, NYSC, Equinox, LA Sports Club and Reebok Sports Club. He created the ASFYT course upon completing his studies to become a Licensed Massage Therapist. In fact, he went the Swedish Institute in order to learn Anatomy.
I am proud to have completed the ASFYT training because it gave me a strong foundation in Anatomy. I enjoyed learning about it so much that I continue to take courses in it to expand on build upon that strong foundation. I am sure it will be a life-long passion of mine. In this podcast I talk to Jason about the creation of and evolution of the ASFYT program and the value of Anatomy studies for Yoga teachers.
In This Podcast:
- Why it is valuable for Yoga Teachers to learn Anatomy
- Yoga-related injuries – and how yoga is not necessarily a perfect practice
- We expose the myth that “yoga strengthens and stretches every muscle in the body”
- Chaturanga and shoulder injuries
- Why cross-training for yoga teachers is so important
- The single most important lesson for ASFYT graduates
- Jason’s favorite muscle and favorite joint
- The future of ASFYT – some new offerings